MySQL Workbench is a cross-platform, visual database design tool developed by MySQL. MySQL Workbench is available as a native GUI tool on Windows, Linux and OS X in different editions. MySQL Workbench is available in two editions, the GPL “Community Edition” and the commercial “Standard Edition”. MySQL Workbench provides DBAs and developers an integrated tools environment for:
- Database Design & Modeling
- SQL Development (replacing MySQL Query Browser)
- Database Administration (replacing MySQL Administrator)
MySQL Workbench fully supports MySQL Server versions 5.1 and above. It is also compatible with MySQL Server 5.0, but not every feature of 5.0 may be supported. It does not support MySQL Server versions 4.x. MySQL Workbench provides three main areas of functionality:
- SQL Development: Enables you to create and manage connections to database servers. As well as allowing you configure connection parameters, MySQL Workbench provides the capability to execute SQL queries on the database connections using the built-in SQL Editor. This functionality replaces that previously provided by the Query Browser stand-alone application.
- Data Modeling: Enables you to create models of your database schema graphically, reverse and forward engineer between a schema and a live database, and edit all aspects of your database using the comprehensive Table Editor. The Table Editor provides easy-to-use facilities for editing Tables, Columns, Indexes, Triggers, Partitioning, Options, Inserts and Privileges, Routines and Views.
- Server Administration: Enables you to create and administer server instances. This functionality replaces that previously provided by the MySQL Administrator stand-alone application.